Closing date is 1st October 2023 | Senior Protection Assistant Job Vacancy In Cairo Egypt | UNHCR
Level of Difficulty (not relevant for home-based)
A (least difficult)
Family Type (not relevant for home-based businesses)
Type of Employee or Affiliate
Conditions of Reference
The UN General Assembly created the Office of the High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) in 1950. The organization’s mandate calls for it to offer safety, support, and long-term solutions to refugees and stateless people. Egypt is a signatory to both the 1969 OAU Convention Governing Specific Aspects of Refugee Problems in Africa and the 1951 Convention Relating to the Status of Refugees and its 1967 Protocol. According to the Memorandum of Understanding signed in 1954 by UNHCR and the Government of Egypt, UNHCR is in charge of all procedures involving registration, documentation, and the determination of refugee status. In Egypt, UNHCR operates offices in Alexandria and Greater Cairo (6th October City and Zamalek district).
Typically, the Senior Protection Associate or Associate Protection Officer receives reports from the Senior Protection Assistant. In accordance with international standards, the incumbent oversees protection standards, operational processes, and practices in protection delivery and offers functional protection assistance to program and information management employees.
The Senior Protection Assistant will find opportunities to mainstream protection approaches, incorporate protection safeguards in operational responses across all sectors, and coordinate high-quality, timely, and effective protection responses to the requirements of refugees and asylum seekers. As directed by the supervisor, s/he assists in developing a thorough protection plan and communicates with authorities and partners on protection doctrine and policy on the outside.
The Senior Protection Assistant also makes sure that refugees and asylum seekers are included in decision-making that affects them, whether it be in terms of gaining access to their rights or choosing the best course of action for their issues.
The Legal Unit, part of UNHCR Egypt’s Protection Service, is crucial in addressing the legal and physical protection requirements of refugees, asylum seekers, and those in need of international protection in Egypt. In accordance with national law, international human rights and refugee standards, and the UNHCR’s case management guidelines, the incumbent will strive to identify the needs for physical and legal protection and design and implement a solution.
Assignment Goal and Scope
The duties of the Senior Protection Assistant include:
- Keep up with political, social, economic, and cultural trends that affect the environment’s protection.
- Adhere to all applicable international, national, UN/UNHCR, and IASC policies, standards, and codes of behavior.
- Offer guidance to refugees and asylum seekers on protection-related matters;
- Offer protection and legal advice to refugees and asylum seekers, and make sure they receive the appropriate feedback;
- Conduct interviews and prepare assessments of the legal and physical protection issues that affect refugees and those seeking asylum.
- Write routine letters pertaining to specific circumstances;
- Write letters to national authorities on various protection-related topics;
- Compile and enter statistical data for protection into the UNHCR database;
- Create weekly and daily reports;
- Carry out additional tasks as needed;
Experience and Education
- English and Arabic writing and reporting abilities.
- Case management processes experience;
- It is advantageous to have familiarity with UNHCR data systems.
Education (Educational level and fields of study necessary and/or desired)
- High school diploma and two years of related experience, or a bachelor’s degree and one year of relevant job experience
- An advantage is having a degree in law, human rights, or political science with a focus on international law.
- At least 2 years of experience in a professional setting
- Prior employment with UNHCR is a plus
- Completing related learning activities from UNHCR is beneficial
- Oral and written English and Arabic fluency.
- Basic computer knowledge.
- Drafting abilities in Arabic and English.
- Effective interpersonal and communication abilities, particularly when interacting with persons from various cultural backgrounds.
- Experience at Work
- Further details
- English and Arabic language proficiency are must.There is no need for a functional clearance for this post.
CLICK HERE To Apply For Senior Protection Assistant Job Vacancy In Cairo Egypt