Applications open for the Science Journalism Internship Programme 2023. Apply now!
This Science Journalism Internship Programme 2023 is introduced by the South African Agency for Science and Technology Advancement, a division of the National Research Foundation in partnership with the Department of Science and Innovation (DSI), the South African National Editors Forum (SANEF), and the South African Broadcasting Corporation (SABC).
For the purpose of producing science, technology, and innovation stories for broadcasts and online media, the SABC will choose the most qualified candidates and assign them to SABC newsrooms across the nation.
- A stipend paid to interns per month as follows: National Diploma NQF Level 6 (R 5 740), Bachelor’s Degree / B.Tech NQF Level 7 (R 6,375), Honours NQF Level 8 (R 7,055), Master’s NQF Level 9 (R 8,375).
- Unemployed South African graduates with a degree in journalism, media studies, science, or a related field between the ages of 18 and 35 invited to apply for a two-year internship in science journalism.
- Minimum requirement National Diploma (NQF 6 / NQF 7 / NQF 8) in Journalism and Media Studies, Science or Technology or relevant equivalent qualifications.
- Ability to write, read and translate into one or more indigenous languages.
- Ability to cover news in multiple format.
- Full Computer literacy, Zoom, Teams etc.
- Good photographic sense and a sharp eye for detail.
- Physical fitness to carry equipment and manage it.
- Self-motivation and ability to work underpressure.
- Excellent communication and organisational skills.
- Writing / radio and television skills.
- Fifteen (15) positions are available in all provinces – Specify your preferred province – Gauteng, Mpumalanga, Eastern Cape, Western Cape, Limpopo, Mpumalanga, North West, Free State, KwaZulu-Natal.
Interested youth meeting the requirements should submit, a certified copy of their qualification, a motivational letter and a detailed CV to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Deadline:30 December 2022.
For further information, visit SAASTA