Deadline: 20 January 2023
For its summer 2023 Science Communication Fellowship, the International Institute for Applied Systems Analysis (IIASA) is currently accepting applications.
The fellowship is available from May 22 through September 1. The successful candidates will be required to spend the entire 2023 Science Communication Fellowship period at the IIASA offices in Laxenburg, Austria. The fellowship includes a small stipend to help with living expenses while the awardee is on fellowship, as well as travel expenses to and from IIASA (a location close to Vienna, Austria) and the awardee’s home country at the start and end of the fellowship.
A variety of venues, such as blogs, website content, social media, video, and articles for our magazine, Options, will be used by the scientific communication fellow to get expertise in expressing complex systems science for a broad audience.
The chosen applicant will be employed by IIASA’s Communications and External Relations (CER) division and will help with a range of projects, including web publication, media relations, event coverage, multimedia, social media, and other communication activities. Additionally, the fellow will collaborate closely with IIASA scientists and Young Scientists Summer Program (YSSP) participants to produce a number of works that cover their research.
- A monthly salary based on an annual gross salary of EUR 18,800.00, which is exempt from income tax in Austria.
- A Bachelor’s or equivalent degree in science or journalism, and/or current student or graduate of a science journalism program.
- Applicants from all countries are welcome.
- IIASA gives priority to citizens or residents of countries in which IIASA has a Member Organization.
- They encourage applications from developing countries.
- First experience in writing about science for the general public via blogs, newspapers, university web sites, or other outlets.
- Written and oral fluency in English and proven ability to understand complex scientific research.
- Experience with or interest in social media, video, photography, or other multimedia.
- Click here to apply
- Deadline for receipt of applications: 20 January 2023
- Incomplete applications and/or applications containing written samples longer than 800 words will not be considered.
The following documents required in English:
- Cover Letter outlining your motivation for applying
- One writing sample of no more than 800 words about a scientific topic and aimed at a general audience (e.g., article for a newspaper or magazine, blog post, or op-ed)
- A letter of recommendation.
For further information, visit IIASA