Deadline 24 October 2022
Apply now for the Awa Prize 2022! A competition organised by Enabel which highlights women entrepreneurs from Belgian development cooperation countries and their projects. The Prize celebrates the work of women who have a positive impact on their communities through their business.
Each year, 12 entrepreneurs from the Belgian development cooperation are awarded a prize. The Awa Prize is a contest which sheds the light on businesses and the women who lead them. But beyond this competition, the Awa Prize aims at federating a community of entrepreneurs around shared values, in order to fight against socio-economic inequalities.
Entrepreneurship knows no borders and no gender. All over the world, women and men are enlivening their communities through their businesses. Nonetheless, a woman entrepreneur’s path often strewn with obstacles which make her project more difficult to materialise. Aware of the economic stakes and committed to acting in favor of a better distribution of opportunities, Enabel has developed at the request of the Minister of Development Cooperation and Major Cities Policy, Meryame Kitir, the Awa Prize, Entrepreneurs with impact.
Through the Awa Prize 2022, many events will be organised at the local and international levels in order to raise awareness for men and women about the opportunities that women’s entrepreneurship can create. These events will enable progress on actions which can be developed to remove the persistent obstacles.
In each category, three entrepreneurs highlighted and will receive the first, second and third prize respectively.
- Start-up: For companies existing less than 3 years
- Scale up: For companies existing more than 3 years
- Innovation: For companies that innovate through their products, services or approaches
- People’s Choice: You choose the winner.
The first prize
- Up to €50,000: Spent to support/coaching, based on your company’s needs.
- One week in Belgium: To meet entrepreneurship circles and inspire one another.
The second prize
- Up to €10,000: Spent to support/coaching, based on your company’s needs.
The third prize
- Up to €5,000: Spent to support/coaching, based on your company’s needs.
- Be a woman of legal age in her country of residence
- Have the nationality of one participating country
- Be the (co-) founder and / or non-minority shareholder of a company which has been registered for at least 1 year in a participating country.
- Participating countries for the 2022 edition: Benin, Burkina Faso, Burundi, DRC, Guinea, Jordan, Mali, Mauritania, Morocco, Mozambique, Niger, Palestine, Rwanda, Senegal, Tanzania, Uganda.