Deadline: October 16 2022
Applications for the Punocracy Prize for Satire 2022 are currently open. Apply now !Punocracy is a community of young writers of satire in Nigeria that was launched in March 2018 to encourage free speech, promote critical thinking, and spread political consciousness.
Their objective is to make satire a widely accepted and understood tool of socio-political commentary in the country and to kindle the fire of interest in the genre. In short, they are on a mission to improve satirical literacy and create a safe space for writers and lovers of satire.
In further advancing these goals, they are seeking entries for the third edition of the Prize for Satire 2022. They believe other forms of writing, from poetry to non-fiction, have received significant attention, and it is high time to equally spotlight the significance of satirising in opinion-shaping and nation-building. There is hardly a better way to do this than through a healthy rivalry.
For Punocracy Prize for Satire 2022, Judges are looking for great works of satire, and by definition, this includes articles that creatively deploy wit, irony, sarcasm, and/or ridicule in criticising faults. All longlisted submissions will be published on Punocracy’s website and winners will be awarded during the World Satire Day celebration.
- Grand prize: N50, 000 and certificate.
- Consolation runner-up prizes: Books and certificates.
- Applicants should be Nigerians aged between 15 and 30 years as of November 2022.
- Only one entry is allowed per person.
Also, the entry must:
- Be written in English and saved in a .doc format.
- Be anything between 300 and 1500 words.
- Not be plagiarised in part or in whole.
- Not be jointly authored or created.
- Not have been previously published.
- Most importantly, be satirical.
- Entries may take the shape of prose, drama, news, poetry, a speech, a bill, a letter, a manual, a prophecy, an essay, an advert, or even quasi-scriptural passages. Whatever works for you really.
- There are also no restrictions on topics. However, they encourage that the selected topic is approached in a way that will make the work relevant for an extended period.