Deadline: October 25, 2022
Apply now for the 2023/2025 CIFAR Azrieli Global Scholars program!
CIFAR invites exceptional early-career researchers from across the natural, biomedical and social sciences and the humanities to join one of their interdisciplinary research programs that address some of the most important questions facing science and humanity. The CIFAR Azrieli Global Scholars program 2023/2025 accelerates the development of the next generation of research leaders and positions them to heighten their impact in academia and beyond.
The CIFAR Azrieli Global Scholars program provides:
- Pursuing the most exciting and important research questions requires scholars who can move beyond their own research areas to take a fresh look at a problem.
- CIFAR helps early-career researchers think and work outside their silos by facilitating dialogue between diverse disciplines and immersing them in our research programs for a truly enriching experience.
- Excellent management and communication skills will be key to success in the demanding and competitive world of research.
- Through annual meetings of CIFAR Azrieli Global Scholars from across CIFAR’s research programs, and additional learning experiences, CIFAR creates a variety of training opportunities on themes related to leadership development.
Engagement in global communities
- Tomorrow’s research leaders must effectively engage key stakeholders in their communities, in government, industry, or the general public to both inform and disseminate their work.
- We provide early-career researchers opportunities to increase the impact of their research by interacting with leaders both within and outside of academia.
- A two-year term in a CIFAR research program, a global, interdisciplinary network of leading researchers
- $100,000 CAD in unrestricted research support.
- Mentorship from a senior researcher within a CIFAR research program
- Opportunities to network, collaborate and form a community with peers from diverse disciplines
- Specialized leadership and communication skills training, and support to put your skills into action
To be eligible for this program, you must:
- Hold a PhD (or equivalent).
- Be employed at an institution of higher education or research and be within the first five years of starting a full-time research position that includes responsibility for both conducting an independent research program and supervising/teaching trainees toward their completion of a degree.
- Typically, you are an Assistant Professor (or the equivalent in other academic systems).
- Your position must be secure for the duration of the CIFAR Azrieli Global Scholar active term (to March 31, 2025).
- Your start date in this position must be no earlier than July 1, 2018. Note that special consideration may be given to those who have taken parental leave or have exceptional circumstances.
- If you have a pending first full-time position that meets the criteria above and starts no later than July 1, 2023, you are eligible to apply. In this case, you must submit a copy of your letter of appointment with your application.
- Postdoctoral fellows are NOT eligible to apply to this program.
- Engage in research that complements the themes and goals of a recruiting CIFAR research program.
- Demonstrate an outstanding level of research achievement and promise of future impact in your field, as evidenced by the quality of your publications, awards received, and statements by referees.
- Be interested in engaging across disciplines, as well as sectors beyond academia, to enrich and extend the impact of your research.