AIMS South Africa’s 2024 Master’s Program in AI for Science (Fully-funded) | AIMS SOUTH AFRICA AI SCIENCE MASTER’S SCHOLARSHIP PROGRAM 2024/2025 FOR YOUNG AFRICANS. (FULLY-FUNDED)
AI for Science is a stream in AIMS South Africa’s Master’s degree in Mathematical Science, made possible through a partnership with Google DeepMind. The program sits at the exciting intersection of AI and the Sciences. This exciting program started with its first intake of students in September 2023. It is a fully residential one-year taught masters with a research component. Applications are open to students from across Africa who are passionate about mathematics, artificial intelligence and machine learning. We are looking for students who gaze at the stars and the world around them in wonder, and who want to use their talents to accelerate scientific discovery.
To be eligible to apply for the AI for Science program, you have to:
- be a resident in Africa at time of application,
- be a citizen of any country in Africa,
- have completed a four-year undergraduate degree or a three-year undergraduate degree with an honours year by August 2024 (or December 2024 for southern African applicants; see FAQ).
Your undergraduate degree could be in physics, mathematics, statistics, computer science, engineering or any other discipline with a strong computational and mathematical component.
The requirement of having completed either a four-year undergraduate degree or a three-year undergraduate degree with an additional honours year is a requirement for enrolling as a Master’s degree student in South Africa.
Online selection round
Register at apply.aims.ac.za and upload the following documents there before 11:59 PM on 29 March 2024:
- Your curriculum vitae
- A motivation letter of around 500 words
- Academic transcripts
- Written mathematics questions (to be found on the application site)
- Coding problem (to be found on the application site)
The online application includes a dozen short mathematics questions and one coding problem. It’s not an exam, but the questions give the selection panel some insight into how you approach problems. A full application can’t be completed at the last minute, and we encourage prospective DeepMind Scholars at AIMS South Africa to start applying early!
LIST FO COURSES:
- Mathematical Problem Solving
- Introduction to Machine Learning
- Applied Machine Learning at Scale
- Cloud and Functional Programming
- Physics for Machine Learning
- Computer Vision
- Statistical Inference and Causality
- CUDA Programming for GPUs
- AI for Quantum and Quantum for AI
- Simulation-based Inference
- AI, Mind and Brain
- AI in Climate Science
- Principles of Imaging for Radio Astronomy
- Deep Learning for Ecology
- Mathematical Optimisation
- Theoretical Foundations of Machine Learning and AI
- Reinforcement Learning
- Bayesian Modelling and Probabilistic Programming
- Natural Language Processing
- Research Project
The final round consists of short online interviews in April 2024.
For More Information: