Deadline: 30th November 2023 | Applications for the UNDEF Project (Applications for the UNDEF Project (GRANT $20000 USD))
- Deadline: November 30, 2023
- Amount of Grant: $20,000 USD
- Grants are Being Accepted: UNDEF
Embrace the opportunity of being part of Your Opportunities Africa community! Get timely and daily updates across various spaces. Find the link to our combined Whatsapp and Telegram groups here.For timely and daily Updates Join our social Media groups Whatsapp 1 , Whatsapp 2 , Whatsapp 3, Whatsapp 4 Whatsapp 5 , Whatsapp 6 , Whatsapp 7 , Whatsapp 8 , Whatsapp 9, Whatsapp 10, Whatsapp 11, TELEGRAM 1 , TELEGRAM 2 CHANNELS
Concerning the Organization
UN Secretary-General Kofi A. Annan established UNDEF in 2005 as a United Nations General Trust Fund to aid global democratization initiatives. The General Assembly expressed its approval of it in paragraphs 136–137 of the 2005 World Summit Outcome Document (A/RES/60/1). Projects that support human rights, strengthen civil society, and enable all groups to participate in democratic processes are funded by UNDEF. Funds from UNDEF are mostly allocated to regional civil society organizations. In order to improve democratic governance worldwide, UNDEF thus fills a new and special role in addition to the UN’s other, more conventional cooperation with governments. UNDEF relies solely on governments’ voluntary contributions, which totaled about 220 million dollars in 2021. More than 45 nations, including numerous middle- and low-income states in Africa, Asia, and Latin America, are among the contributors. UNDEF has funded more than 880 two-year projects in more than 130 countries over the course of 15 funding rounds.
Concerning the Grant
- Projects that uplift civil society’s voice, advance human rights, and encourage all groups to engage in democratic processes are supported by UNDEF.
- UNDEF initiatives run for two years. A minimum of 100,000 US dollars and a maximum of 200,000 US dollars might be requested by applicants for grants.
- Funds from UNDEF are mostly allocated to regional civil society organizations. In this sense, UNDEF contributes significantly to strengthening democratic governance globally by assisting governments, which is one of the UN’s other main areas of focus.
Over 890 projects in more than 120 countries have received funding from UNDEF since 2006, totaling more than US $211 million. Less than 2% of submissions are selected for financing after going through a very strict selection procedure.
Six categories apply to some or all of the projects:
- Media Involvement with Youth and Information Freedom
- Human rights, rule of law, and gender equality
- Developing Civil Society and Engaging with the Political Process
- This year, UNDEF is especially interested in funding initiatives that encourage public participation in climate action.
Proposals that advance youth empowerment and gender equality are always welcomed by UNDEF.
The following establishments can get funding through UNDEF grants:
- Non-Governmental Organizations and Civil Society Organizations working to advance democracy. It is predicted that most of the funding will go toward these.
- For project concepts that facilitate the participation of the voice of civil society, consult independent and constitutional bodies such as election commissions, ombudsman institutions, national human rights institutions, and other independent governance agencies.
- global and regional intergovernmental bodies, associations, and organizations outside of the UN for project proposals that bolster civil society’s voice.
- The vast bulk of UNDEF funding go to local civil society organizations, both during the transition and consolidation stages of democratization. Civil society organizations and non-governmental organizations are UNDEF’s top priorities. The organization needs to have a valid legal structure.
How to Apply:
Online proposals are accepted by UNDEF during an annual window that runs from November 1, 2023, to November 30, 2023. It is highly recommended that individuals who intend to apply familiarize themselves with the requirements by visiting the UNDEF website as soon as feasible.
For additional details, kindly click the link.