Date of Closing: October 6, 2023, 11:59 p.m. UTC | Digital Development Specialist Job Vacancy In Rwanda Kigali | World Bank
- Expert in Digital Development
- job code: req24362
- Business: World Bank
- Digital Development Sector
- Level: GF
- Term Time: 3 years and 0 months
- Type of Recruitment: Local Recruitment
- Location: Rwanda, Kigali
- Required Languages: French and English
- Favorite Language(s):
- Digital Development Specialist Job Vacancy In Rwanda Kigali
Do you desire to develop a profession that is actually valuable? The World Bank Group is a unique global partnership of five organizations committed to eradicating extreme poverty and fostering shared prosperity. It is one of the greatest sources of finance and information for developing nations. We collaborate with public and private sector partners, invest in ground-breaking projects, and use data, research, and technology to discover answers to the most pressing global challenges. We have 189 member countries and more than 120 offices globally. Visit the World Bank website to learn more.
- The Infrastructure Practice Group of the Bank includes the Digital Development Global Practice (DD).
- It is essential to the accomplishment of both the Twin Goals and the Sustainable Development Goals. Due to the fact that the digital economy is expanding at a rate that is substantially faster than the global economy, digital technologies are revolutionizing businesses, governments, and people’s lives. This presents emerging economies with a special chance to forge ahead of more traditional growth paths by utilizing digital solutions.
- The Digital Development team collaborates across institutional, geographic, and technological boundaries to design and deliver ICT-enhanced solutions to a wide range of clients. The team helps clients by providing (i) analytical and advisory services; (ii) policy reform initiatives to create enabling policy, legal, strategic, and regulatory environments that permit widespread use of technology and the development of a trust environment; and (iii) lending operations that support investment in digital infrastructure to connect the disconnected or digital public goods (cloud, digital identification, etc.) that enable digital service delivery.
- A Director oversees the DD Global Practice (GP), which is also assisted by a number of Practice Managers who have particular regional responsibilities. Along with the DD GP, the IDD04 Unit is in charge of lending, policy, supervision, and analytical work for the Eastern and Southern Africa region’s digital development initiatives and portfolio.
- Kenya, Uganda, Rwanda, and Somalia are all part of the Africa East Central East Countries 2 (AECE2) Country Management Unit (CMU). The AECE2 CMU Regional Office is based in Nairobi, Kenya, however it is supported by a number of country offices, one of which is in Kigali for Rwanda. There are 23 projects totaling around $2.8 million in the World Bank’s portfolio in Rwanda. In FY23, 4 projects totaling $400 million are due for completion. The ongoing $200 million Digital Acceleration Project, which aims to boost the digital innovation ecosystem and increase access to broadband and a few digital public services, is one of the projects under monitoring. Support for digitizing government-to-person payments is one of the other current digital analytical tasks.
- The IDD04 Unit is seeking a DD Specialist to be situated in Kigali (Rwanda) and help AECE2 nations, with an emphasis on Rwanda but potentially other countries as well. In Nairobi, Kenya, the Practice Manager will be the person the DD Specialist would answer to.
duties and obligations:
The DD expert is in charge of:
- Assisting with the design, planning, and execution of World Bank Group-financed investment and policy reform programs for digital development in client countries, with a focus on fostering the development of green digital connectivity infrastructure through Public Private Partnerships (PPPs) and policy/legal/regulatory reforms, facilitating the development of digital public infrastructure, platforms, and services, and fostering the development of digi
- Providing clients with guidance on strategies, best practices, and program design to lay the groundwork for their digital economies. The provision of ad hoc technical and strategic expertise on the design of the overall policy, legal, regulatory, and institutional framework for the information and communication technology (ICT) sector and the broader digital economy, as well as IT functions and the delivery of digital services within governments, may fall under this category.
- Providing technical assistance and guidance on a variety of ICT policy and regulatory issues in order to encourage competition, investment, and innovation in the telecoms sector with the goal of improving service quality, affordability, and accessibility to digital connectivity for individuals, businesses, and governments as well as to catalyze the development of value-added digital services down the road.
- Providing technical advice and expertise on institutional reform, policy development, project development, and project execution to support the digitization of public administration and the delivery of public services in client countries, as well as data-driven services more generally, including the creation of enablers and safeguards like digital identification, data protection, and cyber security.
- Communicating with and advising colleagues in other sectors (such as agriculture, health, education, energy, financial services, transportation, etc.) on how to use digital technologies to boost public service delivery and efficiency in the aforementioned fields as well as to encourage digital innovation, entrepreneurship, and investment in those fields by private sector actors.
- Creating novel and useful solutions to complex policy and operational problems for a few highly important activities relating to telecommunications, ICT, or the digital economy.
- Serving as the DD GP’s regional or local presence and, as a result, working with other team members and Task Team leaders, contributing to policy discussions with senior government officials in client countries, coordination with local offices of development partners, such as Smart Africa (based in Kigali), and efficient information sharing with colleagues elsewhere.
- Writing and directing the production of best practice reports and comments on legislation and policy in the DD sector.
- Conducting economic and financial analysis to help make judgments on project designs, PPP schemes, financing methods, etc.
- Representing the DD GP and the Bank at forums and events pertaining to digital development and serving as a point of contact for important outside partners.
A master’s degree in communications, engineering, computer science, law, economics, public policy, or a related field, along with at least five years of experience in ICT/DE project design and implementation, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Outstanding intellectual and analytical abilities, particularly the capacity to think strategically and creatively about how digital technology might influence other economic sectors and contribute to socio-economic development. specific technical expertise on issues including digital platforms, infrastructure, and innovation driven by data.
- Strong technical and operational abilities proved by a track record supporting the design and delivery of projects/products of a comparable nature for other companies, notably in the context of developing countries.
- A keen interest in keeping up with new developments and emerging technologies, as well as a thorough awareness of trends in digital technology and business models that are enabled by technology that are pertinent to socioeconomic development in the African setting.
- Strong client engagement abilities, assuming ownership and accountability for prompt responses to client inquiries, requests, or needs, striving to remove roadblocks that can prevent project execution or success, and contributing tactfully and diplomatically to a robust policy dialogue.
- Proven track record of effectively delivering technical information in a clear, easily understandable, and effective manner, tailored to the audience in question (e.g., compiling presentations, briefs, reports, and project documentation). • Excellent written communication skills in English.
- Excellent presentation abilities, including the skillful use of graphs, charts, and other data presentation techniques to explain complicated ideas to non-specialists.
- Self-starter and problem solver with a strong drive for results, taking personal ownership and accountability to meet deadlines and achieve agreed-upon results. This includes taking the lead on particular tasks and components where responsibility has been delegated or agreed upon, as well as anticipating and promptly addressing technical and operational needs.
- Excellent decision-making skills that are supported by facts and data analysis and strong business judgment.
- A demonstrated ability to work well in multidisciplinary teams and manage problems, both internally and externally, in a constructive manner.
- Prior work experience in Africa and thorough familiarity with industry-related problems in the area are advantages. Experience in Middle Income nations and specific prior exposure to operational issues in East and Central Africa would be advantages.
- The capacity and willingness to travel.
- Fluency in French would be advantageous, but English proficiency is required.
Core Competencies of the World Bank Group
- Comprehensive benefits are provided by the World Bank Group, including a retirement plan, health, life, and disability insurance, paid time off, including parental leave, and reasonable accommodations for those with impairments.
- With a motivated and dedicated team, we take pride in being an equal opportunity and inclusive company that does not discriminate on the basis of gender, gender identity, religion, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, or handicap.
- Discover more about the World Bank and IFC, our values, and motivational tales.
CLICK HERE To Apply For Digital Development Specialist Job Vacancy In Rwanda Kigali | World Bank