Closing Date 1st October 2023 | Apply For Driver Job Vacancy In Ethiopia | UNHCR
Place of residence (if appropriate)
Addis Abeba, Eth Fed Democratic Rep
Type of Employee or Affiliate
Assignment Regular > Regular
Work from home not accepted
common job descriptions
Apply For Driver Job Vacancy In Ethiopia
Relationships at work and the organizational environment
When the scope of the Operation calls for it, the Administrative Officer, Associate, or Assistant, or another staff member, will typically supervise the Driver directly in the UNHCR Office. In addition to driving, the incumbent is in charge of maintaining the allocated UNHCR vehicle(s) in accordance with the technical guidelines and standards set by the Organization. He or she must adhere to the supervisor’s tight directions and security advice. Although a driver’s primary responsibility is to operate UNHCR official vehicles, s/he may also be asked to carry out minor maintenance and repairs.
The Driver often interacts with employees at the UNHCR Office as well as others (such as Partners, government officials, etc.) outside of UNHCR, exchanging a minimal amount of information in each case. Apply For Driver Job Vacancy In Ethiopia
Each employee of the UNHCR is responsible for carrying out the tasks outlined in their job description. They act in accordance with the UNHCR’s regulatory framework, which includes the UN Charter, the UN Staff Regulations and Rules, the UNHCR Policies and Administrative Instructions, as well as any applicable accountability frameworks, and within their scope of authority. Additionally, employees must carry out their duties in a way that is compatible with the fundamental, functional, cross-functional, and managerial skills as well as the key values of the UNHCR, which include professionalism, integrity, and respect for diversity.
- Operate UNHCR vehicles to carry allowed individuals, distribute and pick up products, and transport papers.
- As needed, meet with officials at airports or other locations to help with immigration and customs requirements.
- Carry out routine maintenance on the assigned vehicles, such as checking the oil, water, battery, brakes, and tires, to make sure they are road- or water-worthy and up to security standards.
- Make small repairs, make arrangements for larger repairs, and make sure the car is kept spotless.
- Ensure that the actions necessary to comply with laws and regulations or other local protocols are carried out in the event of an accident.
- Record all business travel, daily miles, gas usage, oil changes, greasing, etc.
- Make sure that the supervisor’s and the security focal point’s directives are adhered to strictly.
- Verifies that all passengers, objects, and freight in the vehicle have appropriate documentation.
- Carry out any other necessary relevant tasks.
Years of Experience/Level of Education
For G2D, two years of relevant experience and a high school diploma or equivalent are required.
Field(s) of Study
Licenses and/or Certificates
(Licenses and certificates denoted by an asterisk* are required.)
Relevant Work History
driving permit and familiarity with traffic laws.
- DV-Driving Guidelines and Rules
Basic knowledge of vehicle mechanics;
(Skills denoted with an asterisk (*) are crucial.)
- English proficiency and, if necessary, the UN working language of the duty station are requirements for positions in international professional and field service.
- If English is not the local language, proficiency in the UN working language of the duty station is required for national professional positions.
- Knowledge of English and/or the UN working language of the duty station if English is not required for General Service positions.
- Each employee of the UNHCR must work both individually and collectively to create a workplace where everyone feels secure and empowered to carry out their responsibilities. Showing zero tolerance for sexual exploitation, abuse, and harassment—including sexual harassment—as well as sexism, gender inequity, discrimination, and the abuse of power—is one way to do this.
- Individuals and managers alike need to take the initiative to stop improper behavior before it starts, to respond to it when it does, to support continuing discussion about these concerns, to speak out when something goes wrong, and to seek advice and assistance from the appropriate UNHCR resources.
- For all UNHCR positions with this job title and grade level, this is the Standard Job Description. Additional desirable and/or necessary qualifications relevant to the operation or role may be included in the operational context. Any such requirements are included in this Job Description by reference and will be taken into account for screening, shortlisting, and choosing candidates.
Profile of the ideal candidate
- prior involvement with a UN agency or NGO
- administration and record keeping
- The staff must have mechanical, diagnostic, first aid, and repair abilities.
- a certificate in auto mechanics from a vocational institution.
- knowledge of the region’s geography, particularly in terms of difficult-to-reach locations.
- a thorough knowledge of security dynamics and proficiency with security communications tools
- Should be able to drive across extremely challenging terrain, including very steep slopes and great distances between field offices, field units, and refugee-populated areas.
Languages needed (anticipated) The overall level of ability is at least B2:
Considerations for Occupational Safety and Health
Kind of Position:
The UNHCR Office in Embamadrie, which is supervised by the Sub-Office of Shire, is where this position is expected to be located.
The Eritrean refugee operation in the camps has been impacted by the conflict in Tigray. Although the camps of Mai Aini and Adi Harush, which are nearby the Embamadrie Office (5 km and 15 km, respectively), were less affected, a recent interagency multi-sectorial assessment (January 2021) still indicated serious protection concerns as well as ongoing challenges regarding the impact on the delivery of basic services.
In total, 148,889 Eritreans are registered as refugees under level 3 standards within the scope of the operation (96,000 in Tigray and 52,829 in Afar in two additional camps, Barhale and Aysaita). Recent food distribution monitoring in the camps of Mai Aini and Adi Harush, however, reveals that considerably fewer people currently live in the two camps. Land availability in the other two camps is being impacted by an ongoing transfer process from two other refugee camps, Hitsats and Shimelba, which the Ethiopian government indicated will be closed in February 2021.
The Admin Associate directly supervises the incumbent. Along with driving, the driver is in charge of maintaining the allocated UNHCR vehicle(s) in accordance with the organization’s technical guidelines and standards. He or she must adhere to the supervisor’s tight directions and security advice. Although a driver’s primary responsibility is to operate UNHCR official vehicles, s/he may also be asked to carry out minor maintenance and repairs.
The Driver often interacts with employees at the UNHCR Office as well as others (such as Partners, government officials, etc.) outside of UNHCR, exchanging a minimal amount of information in each case.
Conditions of Living and Work:
- Living conditions are still difficult following the violence in the Tigray region that led to the Ethiopian government announcing a state of emergency in November 2020.
- There is a canteen and a modest gym/recreational area among the amenities. In the town, neither water nor electricity exist. So, a water truck brings running water, but the generator brings electricity.
- VSAT and satellite phones are used by the office for communication and internet. As of right now (April 2021) neither a dependable 3G network nor a mobile network exist in Embamadrie.
- Due to the lack of a fuel station in Embamadrie, refueling is done 130 kilometres away in Debark.
- Apart from neighborhood stores with modest fresh vegetables, Embamadrie offers no alternatives for food shopping. However, anyone with special dietary needs will need to make arrangements in advance because the closest suggested stores are located in Gondar, 220 kilometers south. Local eateries will produce a limited selection of local food. Local merchants sell water in bottles.
- Due to the absence of banks, this area has a cash economy. The bank ATM is located in Adi Arkay, 50 kilometers away. It is advised that first-time visitors to the duty station withdraw enough cash from the ATMs in Addis Abeba, the Ethiopian capital. The transportation of more than $3,000 or its equivalent into Ethiopia is prohibited by Ethiopian regulations.
- Neither pharmacies nor medical centers are present. The closest hospital that provides only the most basic care is located in Debark, a three-hour journey away.
- Embamadrie’s security status is now quiet. It is crucial to remember that Embamadrie is only 5 kilometers from the line the government has established dividing comparatively unrestricted mobility in the south from severely constrained movement in the north.
- Movement and travel of local and foreign staff must be coordinated with UNDSS and are closely supervised.
- There aren’t many chances for entertainment in Embamadrie, and the only recreational space is the office gym. The capacity for self-care is crucial, and personal security awareness is crucial given the stressful nature of the work environment.
- other driving license
Experience at Work
Annual Budget OL in Office/Operations, The number of people served who were of concern, the number of people working in the operation or setting, the number of people to supervise, and the working with people of concern: Internally Displaced Individuals, Assisting Concerned Individuals: Refugees
Accountability, analytical thinking, customer and result-oriented, dedication to lifelong learning, Organizational awareness, planning and organizing, and communication group effort & cooperation, technological
- Shire is where Position is situated.
- There will be a written and practical test.
- Functional authorization
- There is no need for a functional clearance for this post.
CLICK HERE To Apply For Driver Job Vacancy In Ethiopia