For its second annual Writers’ Workshop, the Johannesburg Institute for Advanced Study (JIAS) is accepting applications from upcoming African authors. (JIAS Writing Fellowships)
Deadline for applications: February 1, 2023
During the months of August through October 2023, JIAS will welcome a group of talented African writers. The workshop will be a three-month writing-intensive course for aspiring authors who have a current project they’d like to finish or refine. Each writer will concentrate on their own writing as well as read and comment on the work of others. A writers’ workshop creates a friendly environment that is extremely beneficial to authors.
- African authors who write poetry, plays, screenplays, short stories, creative non-fiction, and fiction (long and short form) are welcome to apply to the JIAS Writers’ Workshop. Award-winning, well-regarded, and successful writers will serve as the workshop participants’ mentors.
- This is a fantastic chance for aspiring authors to pick the brains of experienced authors who are experts in their field. The energy and diversity that a vibrant city like Johannesburg has to offer will also be available for participants to take advantage of and profit from.
- There is no application fee and there is no cost to attend the workshop.
- The following is what each Writers’ Workshop participant will get: lodging at a private home owned by JIAS.
- Breakfast, lunch, and stipend each day.
- An extended, all-encompassing creative experience.
- Mentoring by seasoned, exceptionally talented authors.
How to Appl:
- Please send the following materials in order to apply:
- filled-out application form
- a copy of page two of your passport
- A CV for creative writing
- A one-page proposal for a creative writing project
- a sample of writing Poetry, Creative Non-Fiction, and Fiction (5–10 pages), as well as Playwriting and Screenwriting (First 10 Pages of Script).