Deadline: November 7 2022.
The 2023 United Nations Regional Course in International Law for Africa application procedure is currently open.
In collaboration with the Federal Democratic Republic of Ethiopia, the African Union, and the United Nations Economic Commission for Africa, the Codification Division of the United Nations Office of Legal Affairs organizes the United Nations Regional Course in International Law for Africa (ECA).
The United Nations Regional Course in International Law for Africa 2023 will be held in person at the ECA’s facilities in Addis Abeba from February 20 through March 14, 2023, subject to changes linked to COVID-19. Further, conducted in English. Up to 30 people can enroll in the course, with a few spots set out for self-paying students.
Eminent experts in international law from many regions and legal systems present seminars as part of the regional courses. Seminars on the following essential subjects as well as additional subjects of specific relevance to the area will be part of the curriculum:
- Overview of international law, treaty law, and state responsibility
- diplomatic and consular relations, international peace and security, peaceful settlement of international disputes,
- the law and institutions of the African Union, international human rights law, law of the sea, international
- humanitarian law, international criminal law, international environmental law, international trade law, and
- international investment law.
- Participants awarded fellowships will have their travel expenses in economy class, lodging, health insurance, and training materials paid for.
- In conformity with the norms and procedures regulating the operation of the United Nations, fellowship recipients will also receive a modest stipend to cover additional living expenses.
- For consideration to the Regional Courses, candidates must have a legal background with professional experience in the field of international law.
- Candidates must also be fluent in the language in which the Course is offered (English in 2023).
- The selected candidates required to certify that they are able to attend the Regional Course in its entirety. The Regional Course accommodates up to 30 participants.
- This Regional Course is open to candidates from the States Members of the United Nations that are members of the Group of African States.
Visit United Nations for further information.