Deadline: February 28, 2023
The commencement of the 2023 Southern African Development Community (SADC) Media Awards Competition in the four categories of photography, print, television, and radio journalism is proudly announced by the SADC Secretariat.
The SADC Media Awards were founded in 1996 to recognize the best media coverage of SADC and aid in the region’s efforts to integrate as well as cooperate on a regional level. Journalists from the SADC Member States are eligible for the SADC Media Awards. The 43rd SADC Summit of Heads of State and Government will be the occasion for the first prize winners to receive their awards and certificates.
The Secretariat further advises interested journalists to contact the SADC National Media Coordinators (SNMCs) in respective Member States or visit the SADC website. However, by February 28, 2023, forms must be fully filled out and typed in within Member States and delivered to the SNMCs.
Entries invited from the following categories:
- comprising features/articles published in newspapers, newsletters, websites, magazines;
- Print Journalism submissions should have a minimum of 100 (one hundred words and a maximum of 2000 (two thousand) words.
- comprising broadcast material;
- Radio Journalism broadcast material should have a minimum duration of 1 (one) minute and a maximum of 30 (thirty) minutes. All broadcast material submitted on a CD or USB. The entries should be accompanied by electronic transcript in word format for translation purposes.
- comprising televised material;
- Broadcast material should have a minimum duration of 1 (one) minute and a maximum of forty-five (45) minutes. All broadcast material submitted on a CD or USB. The entries should be accompanied by electronic transcript in word format for translation purposes.
- comprising published pictures with a caption;
- Photographic entries should have one (1) photo, or a pictorial spread of not more than twenty (20) photos published in one issue/edition. Each entry accompanied by an original newspaper in which photo (s) were published.
- Each category’s first-place winner earns US$2,500, and the runner-up gets US$1000.
Rules of the competition
- The entries should have been published/broadcast between January and December the year preceding the awards (2022) by a registered and/or authorized media house or agency or carried on a website of a registered and/or authorized media house or agency in any of the SADC Member States;
- The themes of the entries submitted for the competition must be on issues and activities promoting Regional Integration in the SADC region, i.e., infrastructure, economy, water, culture, sports, agriculture, etc.
- All media practitioners who are SADC nationals may enter the competition, except those in institutions contracted by SADC and the SADC Secretariat staff;
- All works entering the competition should be in one of the SADC working languages. i.e., English, Portuguese, French. Similarly any national indigenous language of the SADC Region and submitted together with the transcript in one of the three SADC working languages, i.e., English, French and Portuguese. But published/broadcast (newspaper cutting, websites, magazines, audio CDs, USB and newsletters;
- All entries submitted to the National Adjudication Committee not later than February 28, 2023.