Applications open for the East Africa Women Human Rights Defenders Network (EAWHRDN) Program 2022. The East Africa Women Human Rights Defenders Network (hereafter: Network) pleased to announce the launch of the call for applications for women human rights defenders from Eritrea, Somalia, Burundi, and Djibouti to join as members of the Network.
Deadline: 23rd September 2022
Established in 2017 with the support of the United Nations Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights-East Africa Regional Office, the Network’s secretariat currently hosted by DefendDefenders (East and Horn of Africa Human Rights Defenders Project). The mission of the Network is to promote and protect women human rights defenders (WHRDs), women’s human rights and gender equality in East Africa. Currently, the Network comprises of members from Uganda, Kenya, Tanzania, Rwanda, South Sudan, Ethiopia and Djibouti. In 2022, the Network would like to expand its membership to more countries in the region.
The Network supports the sustainability of WHRDs’ work by sharing experiences, challenges, ideas, best practices and lessons learned on how WHRDs can securely advocate and defend, individually and collectively, the human rights of women in particular and marginalized groups in general. It strengthen the capacities of women human rights defenders in the region to effectively engage on specific gender issues and to advocate for the advancement of women’s human rights and gender equality at the local, national and regional levels and in different contexts.
- Women and girls working on any human rights issue.
- People of all genders who work to promote women’s rights and rights related to gender equality
- Be operational within Eritrea, Somalia, Burundi, or Djibouti. Exiled WHRDs from Eritrea working on issues affecting women in Eritrea invited to apply
- Applications can be made as an individual WHRD or organisation.
All interested WHRDs should send in a bio (max 1 page),declare any affiliations (conflict of interests), if any, and respond to the 4 questions below (max one page).
- Describe why you are interested in joining the East Africa WHRDs Network. (as an individual WHRD or as an organisation)
- Describe what areas and issues you have worked on. Which part of Eritrea, Somalia, Burundi, or Djibouti do you cover in your work? Who are the beneficiaries of your work? For Eritrean WHRDs, kindly specify whether you are operating in the country or in exile.
- What do you view as the biggest challenges to achieving gender equality and the realisation of women’s rights in your country?
Include a recommendation from professional references and/or other references of the area in which you are based or operate.
- Persons with disabilities can contact the secretariat of the network for necessary facilitation in the application process; and
- If representing an organisation, evidence of full authority to commit the organisation in decision-making required.
- All applications made in English and submitted by e-mail to: email@example.com
Visit official webpage for further information on East Africa Women Human Rights Defenders Network (EAWHRDN) Program 2022