Are you a filmmaker from Uganda, Tanzania or Ethiopia? Who wants to develop a feature film idea but looking for financing and training opportunities? The best course of action is to apply to DW Akademie Film Development Fund 2023.
Deadline: October 26 2022.
The DW Akademie Film Development Fund offers a one-year fellowship program for filmmakers working on the development of their feature-length documentary, fiction or hybrid films. DW Akademie supports the development of independent, transparent media systems, quality journalism and media expertise. They help rebuild media in post-crisis and post-conflict environments and contribute internationally to the professional training of media workers.
- If selected, you receive 10.000€ and matched with an experienced mentor, who will be by your side during the duration of the program.
- Get access to tailor-made training and networking opportunities.
To be able to apply, you must fulfill two main eligibility requirements:
- Be a citizen and a permanent resident of the country for which the call for application is open. If you are from the country but live in the diaspora, you are unfortunately not eligible.
- Have a track record as a filmmaker. This means that we require that you have released at least one production either internationally or locally (e.g., theatrical release, screening in a national or international festival, TV broadcast, digital third-party broadcast, streaming/VOD). This can also be a short film.
What is being supported?
- Eligible projects/formats are narrative, documentary or hybrid feature-length films (at least 60 minutes) currently in development.
- The fund focuses on the development stage of a film’s overall production. This is the phase for creating ideas, writing screenplays, acquiring financing, contracting rights, etc.
- Development activities eligible for funding include, but are not limited to: work on a screenplay; research (travel); production of a mood reel; participation in labs (lab and travel fees); acquiring financing for production (work on further funding applications, travel to festivals, etc.); location and/or character/protagonist scouting, etc.
- Click here to apply
- 15 selected filmmakers will be informed approximately 8 weeks after the application deadline.
Required supporting documents
- Summary of your proposed project (1 – 2 pages)
- Activity schedule
Applicants who’s projects are shortlisted will be asked to submit a treatment (8 pages max)
Visit DW Akademie for further information