The call for volunteer board members for the Africa Youth Advisory Board on Disaster Risk Reduction (AYAB/DRR) 2022 is still open; submit your application today.
Deadline: September 4th, 2022
The Africa Youth Advisory Board (AYAB) for Disaster Risk Reduction (DRR), hereafter referred to as the board or AYAB, was established under the African Union Commission (AUC) to meaningfully engage young Africans (up to 35 years) in DRR processes on the continent.
The board shall consist of fifteen (15) young volunteers from across the continent, coming from the formal or informal sectors, youth-led or youth-focused organizations, and other stakeholder groups, committed, passionate and actively involved in DRR activities or processes. Membership to this board is not a ceremonial one, with members expected to commit at least 8 hours a week to promote and advance AYAB DRR related activities and initiatives.
Members aren’t entitled to a salary or compensation of any kind for their time working for the board.However, members are encouraged to engage with other youths in other disciplines towards achieving the board’s vision. The 15 positions on the board are as follows:
- East Africa – Two (2) positions
- West Africa – Two (2) positions
- Southern Africa – Two (2) positions
- Central Africa – Two (2) positions
- North Africa – Two (2) positions
- Priority (Understanding disaster risk) – One (1) position
- Priority 2 (Strengthening disaster risk governance to manage disaster risk – One (1) position
- Priority 3 (investing in disaster risk reduction for resilience – One (1) position
- Priority 4 (enhancing disaster preparedness for effective response and to “Build Back Better” in recovery, rehabilitation and reconstruction) – One (1) position
- Priority 5 (Community Based DRR) – One (1) position
Roles of Board Members
- Partner with national DRR focal persons, African Union partners and other stakeholders to facilitate the implementation, monitoring and review of the PoA.
- Engage with the AUC, Regional Economic Communities (RECs), National and Local governments in DRR policy design that are youth-led or focused, as well as its implementation and review.
- Build linkages and synergies between youth activities focused on DRR at global,regional, national and community levels.
- Facilitate African youth engagement in continental, regional and national stakeholder fora and coordination with national and local governments, in line with and through existing platforms for youth engagement.
- Facilitate capacity building opportunities for and with young people, in collaboration with the AUC, RECs and other relevant institutions centred on the five priorities of the board.
- Facilitate intergenerational capacity building between young and experienced practitioners at different levels of engagement in DRR.
- Create avenues for the interaction of young people/youth organizations in DRR with related disciplines such as Climate Change, Urbanization, indigenous knowledge, new technologies and Sustainable Development for cross discipline building of capacities.
- Facilitate interdisciplinary and intergenerational collaboration across electronic and non-electronic platforms (defined as collaboration between different age groups) between African scientists in applying their existing and ongoing scientific research for evidence-based implementation, monitoring and follow up and review of the SFDRR.
- Leverage the PERIPERI Universities network to support young scientists in the development of new research agendas tailored to complement the implementation, monitoring and review of the Sendai Framework for postgraduate research, and where possible, in collaboration with universities, research organisations, Non-Governmental Organisations (NGOs) and the private sector.
- Develop physical and virtual campaigns/strategies to extend the existing reach of DRR knowledge of young people in cooperation with different public and private institutions
- Members must not be older than 35 years of age throughout the duration of their tenure 1
- The tenure of membership is two years and renewable once
- Selection done every two years through an Expression of Interest/ Call led by the AUC
A complete application package shall consist of uploading the following items to this application link: https://forms.office.com/r/FZGpZWKqFF by September 4th, 2022 (GMT+3).
- A CV detailing relevant qualifications and experience to the position (2 pages maximum, 12 size font Times New Roman, single spaced)
- A cover letter detailing your motivation to become part of the board (2 Pages max)– please express what position you are interested in applying for membership
- Proof of African Citizenship (e.g. Passport, Identification Document)
- Name and contact details of two referees who can attest to the qualifications and experience of the applicant
- For any clarifications, please send an email to KoualaoA@africa-union.org.
Visit official webpage for further information on Call for volunteer board members for the Africa Youth Advisory Board on Disaster Risk Reduction (AYAB/DRR) 2022