Deadline: 20 September 2022
Are you an African filmmaker working on the final stages of your film project? Apply for the Africa No Filter Last Mile Film Fund 2022! Africa No Filter is launching the Last Mile Film Fund to finance African filmmakers working on the last steps of their projects.
The Last Mile Film Fund wants to influence the conversation about African films and Africa by partnering with storytellers using film to change how the rest of the world sees and engages with Africa. The Fund will do this by financing productions that stay away from common stereotypes of Africa in movies including crime, corruption, underdeveloped cities and portraying Africans as undereducated and underexposed.
The grant will fund short and feature-length fiction, documentary or animation films at the final stages of production, including post-production activities like editing, visual effects, sound mixing, dubbing, marketing and distribution.
The launch comes after a series of focus groups that Africa No Filter organised with African filmmakers to discover their experiences of producing in and about Africa. Filmmakers revealed that they face several challenges throughout the film production process. Post-production is often ignored and receives less support than the other film production cycle stages.
- Grants are worth up to $15,000 for feature-length films and up to $10,000 for short films.
- Short and feature-length fiction, documentary or animation films at the final stages of production, including post-production (editing, visual effects, sound mixing, dubbing…), marketing and distribution, etc
- The call-out aims at post-production activities covered by the grant in full.if the cost of the intended activity is more than the requested funding from ANF (Africa No Filter), the applicant must show evidence of confirmed funding for the excess amount from another source.
- The fund is open to filmmakers based in the continent and the diaspora, and the project needs to be African led
- The production company must demonstrate that they have the authority and capacity to submit the project and hold all the rights in and to the project and its related materials
- All films must be submitted in their original languages or subtitled in English.
- Films must challenge a prevailing negative stereotype about or within Africa or reflect a refreshing more contemporary and nuanced narrative of the continent, along with a story line that is compelling to abroad audience both at the Pan-African level and internationally.
- Only online applications submitted through Africa No Filter’s website accepted.
- Films must be ready for completion and premiere by 31 August 2023.
- Applications close on 20 September 2022 at 6 pm GMT
Visit Africa No Filter Last Mile Film Fund 2022 for further information