Deadline: 19 September 2022
Apply now for the OWSD Early Career Fellowship. A prestigious award offered to women who have completed their PhDs in Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM) subjects.
By supporting an increasing number of Early Career fellows, OWSD is creating a network of outstanding women scientists who can provide mentorship and be role models for the next generation of women leaders in STEM.OWSD Early Career Fellowship supports early career women scientists to lead important research projects in those countries identified as especially lacking in scientific and technological resources.
Administered by OWSD with funds generously provided by the International Development Research Centre (IDRC), Canada, The OWSD Early Career fellows are supported to establish environments at their institutions where they can maintain an international standard of research and attract scholars from all over the world to collaborate.
- Prestigious award of up to USD 50,000
- During the 3-year fellowship, fellows will build on their leadership and management skills.
- Develop connections with a variety of public and private sector partners to potentially convert their research into marketable products or guarantee its impact on a broader scale.
- By improving their communication and outreach skills, fellows will also learn to effectively present their research to various audiences, thus attracting new collaborators and potential funders to ensure the sustainability of the research project.
To be eligible to apply for the OWSD Early Career Fellowship applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Applicants must have been resident in one of the listed Science and Technology Lagging Countries (STLCs) for at least 5 years. The 5 years do not have to be consecutive.
- Applicant can be citizens of any country, provided that the above residence requirement is fulfilled.
- At the time of application, applicants must provide proof of being employed at the university or research institute where the research project will be carried out. If employment has not yet commenced, a proof of employment offer and confirmation of acceptance is required.
- The institution where the research project will be carried out must be in one of the listed STLCs.
- Applicants must provide evidence that they will receive a salary from their university/research institute for the duration of the three-year fellowship.
Eligible STEM fields (Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics)
- Agricultural Sciences
- Astronomy, Space and Earth Sciences
- Biological Systems and Organisms
- Chemical Sciences
- Computing and Information Technology
- Engineering Sciences
- Mathematical Sciences
- Medical and Health Sciences
- Structural, Cell and Molecular Biology
Research project proposals from other fields (social science, education, etc.) are not eligible and not taken into consideration.
Eligible academic qualification
- PhD in one of the above listed study fields.
- PhD awarded not more than 10 years prior to application.
- The OWSD Early Career Fellowship is intended for research that will have demonstrable impact on the local, national or regional community.
- Applications reviewed by a panel of eminent scientists who are specialists in each of the STEM subjects and have knowledge of the challenges facing women scientists from developing countries. Committee members will be appointed by OWSD and the selection meeting chaired by OWSD.
- Applications evaluated based on scientific quality, project feasibility, geographical and scientific fields’ distribution.
- The Selection Committee’s decision is final and not eligible for appeal. Not contested or subject to explanation or justification.
- Successful candidates will be notified by December 2022 and expected to attend a first online meeting soon after. The expected duration of the fellowship is three years from the date of contract signing (early 2023).
For further information visit OWSD Early Career Fellowship webpage.