Deadline: 31 August, 2022
Electric South invites emerging as well as accomplished African XR creators to apply for a new XR Social Impact Grant.
Immersive media artist or creative technologist based in Africa,more so having a concept or project that utilises real-time 3D (RT3D) or Extended Reality (XR) technology in a creative and impactful way encouraged to embrace this opportunity
The XR Social Impact Grant aims to give African creators access to skills, expertise, tools and networks to create a prototype or proof of concept using RT3D/XR technology, or to help finish an already existing project.
- Seven extended reality projects (augmented or virtual reality) selected to receive $5,000 USD each in grant funds to develop their proof of concepts, or to complete projects already in progress. Artists retain full ownership of all work produced.
- In addition, creators will participate in a few group sessions with experts, and will receive one-on-one technical support from specialists and advisors. All sessions will take place online in October and November, 2022.
- Be citizens of an African country and based in Africa for the majority of the time (at least 6 months/year).
- We welcome participants from across the African continent, and encourage applicants from identities that have been historically under supported or underrepresented within the fields of art and technology to apply, including those who are disabled, women, members of the LGBTQIA+ community and others.
- Either well versed in a game engine (Unity or Unreal etc.) or technically proficient in similar real-time content creation, 3D modelling or animation software (for example Blender, Maya or Autodesk 3DS Max).
- Utilise RT3D/XR technology in a meaningful and impactful way.
- Be narrative or non-fiction, but all projects must be impact driven with measurable impact goals, calls to action and/or encompass themes of freedom of expression, social, healthcare, education, humanitarian, or environmental issues.
- Examples of previous Electric South work with an impact lens include (please note that these examples are to demonstrate impact and not VR format as most of them are 360 films):
Click here to apply. All successful applicants will be notified by Friday, 16 September, 2022.
The online programme will run from 1 October — 25 November, 2022. Final prototypes or projects will be due by 25 November, 2022.
For further information visit official webpage