15 September 2023 | Family Medicine Specialist Job Vacancy In Ethiopia Addis Ababa | AU
country ; Ethiopia
African Union, organization
Reports to: Clinical Services Division Head
Organizational Unit: Medical and Health Services
Clinical Services Division
There is only one direct report.
One indirect report, total:
Grade of Work: P4
One position total.
Type of Contract: Regular
Location: Ethiopia’s Addis Ababa
Function of Job
To offer complete medical care to MHSD patients and their family members, irrespective of their age or gender.
- Offer general medical services to the Africa Union Commission’s employees, their qualified dependents, and members of the diplomatic corps from all of the organization’s member states.
- Offer our clients preventative, curative, and health promotion services. We also treat common illnesses and refer patients who need our specialists’ help.
- Perform compound duties, such as managing shift operations, ensuring the seamless operation of specialty clinics, and facilitating patient referral or evacuation when necessary.
- Pay attention to frequent disease trends and guidance regarding appropriate actions, the head of the clinical division and any pertinent heads of unit
details of your obligations
- Offers MHSD clients (inpatient and outpatient), of all ages and sexes, routine daily general medical consultations, diagnoses, and treatments.
- Performs minor surgical procedures in our operating room and offers emergency care to the clients in the aforementioned category.
- Conducts routine ward rounds on all admitted patients and offers comments on their care.
- When necessary, performs bedside procedures such lumbar puncture, thoraco- and abdominal centesis, liver aspiration/biopsy, abdominal ultrasound, etc.
- Performs shift-based work according to a 24-hour medical coverage roster for daytime, nighttime, weekends, and official holidays as needed.
- Manages the AU Clinic during the day and is in charge of the shift staff at night, on weekends, and on holidays.
- Keeps a current list of specialists in other hospitals or clinics who can assist in treating the patient’s unique complaint and conditions, arranges for the transfer of the patient to such specialists, monitors the patient’s management, and reports back to the Head of Division, Clinical Services.
- Assesses the quality of the services provided to clients and, when appropriate, makes suggestions for improvement.
- Assists the AU Medical Board in deciding whether medical evacuations are necessary. They also prepare the clinical data and present it to the board for approval.
- Oversees the evacuation procedure, keeps track of the evacuees’ progress, and makes it easier for them to return. keeps in touch with the doctors treating evacuees and takes part in important decisions like length of stay, sick leave, etc.
- Takes part in clinical attaché and intern training and mentorship programs, as well as programs for medical staff continuing education.
- Takes part in the creation and execution of the Directorate’s programs for occupational health and safety, disease prevention, and health promotion (including HIV and AIDS in the workplace).
- Calculates and projects the demand for medical equipment and supplies, which must be submitted on time to the supervisor.
- As allocated, takes part in and contributes knowledge to the medical coverage of AU Summits, AU Field Missions, and outreach to AU Regional Offices.
- Stays up to date on advancements and innovations in emergency and family medicine and periodically shares this information with the medical team.
- Takes part in Division activities, such as creating SOPs, patient education and information pamphlets, and fact sheets.
- Offers MHSD patients top-notch, patient-centered general and specialized family medicine services, such as consultations, routine and emergency care, travel medicine services, immunizations, health education, STD screenings, vision/hearing, women’s health, family planning, prenatal services, nutrition, etc.
- Assists in the formulation and delivery of programs for the Directorate’s occupational health and safety, disease prevention, and health promotion.
- Completes any additional tasks that the immediate supervisor may assign.
requirements for education and relevant experience
- A master’s degree, a BMBCh or an MBBS along with 10 years of post-qualification relevant professional experience in a busy government or private practice or international organization is required, with 6 years of that experience coming at the expert or specialist level.
- Must be conducting standard and sophisticated Family Medicine treatments and surgeries while currently employed in a clinical job.
- Membership/MMED in a professional Regional College of Physicians; eight (8) years of experience in a senior clinical position; at least five (5) of those years must have been spent as a specialist or consultant in family medicine.
Five (5) years of work experience in a clinical role in family medicine, together with fellowship from a recognized regional college of physicians.
- As of the date of application, the applicant’s home country or country of residence must grant licenses to practice family medicine.
- It will be advantageous if you have prior experience leading a clinical unit, section, service, or department.
- Family medicine clinical specialization is advantageous.
- It will be advantageous if you have additional training in any of the family medicine or general medicine subspecialties.
- Surgical and clinical expertise.
- The capacity to focus on details, adhere to deadlines, and produce results.
- Expertise in local, national, and international standards for treating surgical, general medical, and emergency situations.
- Planning, time management, and organizing abilities.
- Computer literacy skills: capable of using various online resources for continuing medical education, such as telemedicine, and being conversant with hospital information systems.
- The capacity to transmit scientific information, as demonstrated by articles in scholarly journals or elsewhere.
- Have experience performing clinical audits.
- The capacity to uphold discretion at all times.
- Interpersonal abilities: capacity to lead and inspire a team and function in a multiracial and multicultural setting.
- Must be capable of doing well under pressure.
- Having leadership qualities
- Strategic Perspective…
- making others better…
- “Change Management”
- Controlling Risk…
- Developing Relationships…
- Responsible and following rules…
- Orientation to Learning…
- “Communicating with Influence”
- Functioning Capabilities
- Conceptual reasoning…
- Job Knowledge Sharing…
- Drive for Results…
- An emphasis on continuous improvement…
SECURITY OF POSITION:
The three (3) years of the appointment will be on a normal term contract, with the first twelve months being regarded as a probationary period. Following that, the contract will be for a two-year term that is renewable if the performance and deliverables are satisfactory.
MAINSTREAMING BY Gender:
The AU Commission encourages competent women to apply because it is an equal opportunity workplace.
Being fluent in two AU languages and proficient in one of the AU working languages (Arabic, English, French, Portuguese, Kiswahili, and Spanish) is advantageous.
An indicative base salary of US$ 42,879.00 (P4 Step 1) per year, plus additional benefits like housing allowance of US$ 26,208.00 (per year), education allowance of 100% of tuition and other educational expenses for every eligible dependent up to a maximum of US$ 10,000.00 per child per year, and post adjustment of up to 46% of basic salary for locally hired employees.
Application materials must be turned in by October 16, 2023, 11:59 p.m. EAT.
-Only applicants who are chosen for interviews and meet all job requirements will be contacted.
-Only candidates with a complete online application, a curriculum vitae (CV), an African passport, and the necessary academic credentials, such as diplomas, Bachelor’s degrees, Master’s degrees, and any pertinent certificates in line with the area of expertise, will be given consideration.
Female candidates are particularly encouraged to apply because the African Union is an equal opportunity workplace.
-Candidates from underrepresented nations in the African Union are especially urged to submit applications for relevant vacancies. These nations include Tunisia, Algeria, Angola, Cape Verde, Central African Republic, Eritrea, Eswatini, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Liberia, Libya, Madagascar, Mali, Morocco, Namibia, Niger, Sao Tome and Principe, Seychelles, Somalia, and Equatorial Guinea.
Request Number: 1926
Commission of the African Union (AUC)
CLICK HERE To Apply For Family Medicine Specialist Job Vacancy In Ethiopia Addis Ababa