Deadline: 30th September 2023 | UNU–WIDER Visiting PhD Fellowship 2023 (Financing Available)
The UNU–WIDER Visiting PhD Fellowship 2023 (Financing Available) is now accepting applications. Registered doctoral candidates can use UNU-WIDER’s resources and facilities for their PhD dissertation or thesis research on developing economies and collaborate with experts in fields of interest to both parties through the Visiting PhD Fellowship Programme.
Before departing for their home institution, visiting PhD fellows often stay at UNU-WIDER for three consecutive months. Fellows prepare one or more research articles while they are in Helsinki and deliver a presentation on their findings. Additionally, they can get the chance to publish their work in the WIDER Working Paper Series.
- In addition to providing a monthly stipend of EUR 2,000 to cover living expenses in Helsinki during the fellowship, UNU-WIDER also offers a travel grant to cover the costs of travelling to and from the location of your PhD-granting institution or country of residence, medical insurance (for medical and hospital services resulting from illness or accident during your stay at UNU-WIDER), and travel assistance.
- The programme doesn’t offer services or pay for costs associated with dependents. Keep in mind that the indicated monthly stipend only applies to time spent in Helsinki, not while travelling.
- Candidates must be enrolled in a PhD study and possess the skills necessary to undertake research in emerging markets.
- Candidates working in other social sciences are welcome to apply, but they should be aware that UNU-WIDER is an institute with an economics focus.
- Candidates should have excellent quantitative and/or qualitative analytical skills and be fluent in English both orally and in writing.
- Early-career, female, and researchers from developing countries are especially encouraged to apply.
- The programme is specifically designed for researchers who are nearing the end of their PhD.
- Only a select few fellows can be admitted into the very competitive Visiting PhD Fellowship Programme. One percent of all submissions in recent years have been accepted.
You will be required to upload your curriculum vitae as part of your application. The letter of recommendation for your PhD supervisor must be sent to UNU-WIDER by email at the following address: firstname.lastname@example.org. The letter of recommendation will also serve as proof that you are registered for a PhD programme at your school.
Apply here by clicking
Visit UNU-WIDER Fellowship for more info.