31 March 2023 is the application deadline | African Guest Researchers’ Scholarships from Nordic Africa Institute for 2024-based researchers (Fully Funded to Uppsala, Sweden). | Nordic Africa Institute’s African Guest Researchers‘ Scholarships 2024
a chance for African early-career academics to work on independent social science and humanities research projects. A vibrant research environment is made possible by the scholarship, which grants access to the Institute’s library and other facilities.
|African Guest Researchers’ Scholarships: Nordic Africa Institute
|early-career African researchers
|31 March 2023
African early career researchers who are stationed in Africa can work and advance their continuing research at the Nordic Africa Institute thanks to the African Guest Researchers’ Scholarship Program. A stimulating study environment is provided by the scholarship, which also provides access to the Institute’s library, hosting by Institute researchers, networking opportunities, and other resources. Through the program, the Nordic Africa Institute seeks to foster and forge relationships with the African and Nordic research communities as well as to contribute to the development of knowledge production capacity regarding Africa.
The duration of the program
The minimum and maximum lengths of stay are 60 and 90 days, respectively.
Additionally take notice that the Nordic Africa Institute, along with the majority of academic institutions in the region, are closed between the dates of 15 June and 15 August and 15 December and 15 January. So, applicants cannot pick these times to visit.
- The scholarship program is intended for early-career African researchers who are working on projects with an African focus.
- With an emphasis on modern Africa, the research topic should fall under the umbrella of social sciences and humanities.
- In accordance with the five impact areas of the Institute, the research should also be pertinent to the fundamental tenets of the UN Agenda 2030. A new window will open.
There are two primary groups of early-career researchers eligible for the program:
- Full-time employees of African universities or research institutions who are enrolled in doctoral programs there but are not eligible for international scholarships Postdoctoral researchers (within 5 years or less of PhD completion).
- The Institute makes an effort to achieve an equitable distribution of scholarly seats with regard to gender and regional concentration.
- The award comprises round-trip economy class airfare, lodging, a daily subsistence allowance of 400 SEK (about 40 USD), a 2,500 SEK (about 250 USD) installation grant, and access to a workspace at the Institute that includes a desk computer.
- The subsistence stipend will only be given for the days spent in Uppsala, so please take notice of that.
- The Institute’s library specializes in social sciences and modern African literature. Guest Researchers can also use the libraries of Uppsala University and the Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences.
- Guest Researchers can visit other universities in the Nordic nations as well as present their findings at the Nordic Africa Institute.
How to Apply:
The following documents to your online application:
- updated resume with publications list (if available online, please include links)
- 5 page project study outline
- An excellent study proposal
- 1 page work schedule
- For the time spent at the Institute, the strategy should be detailed, including research goals and anticipated outcomes.
- a) b
- Please be aware that applications that are not complete will not be accepted. Scholarships are not available to anybody who are employed by, have ever worked for, or are otherwise professionally connected to the Nordic Africa Institute. Also, please be aware that the application must be written in English.
- The Scholarship Program for 2024 will notify candidates right away in the unlikely event that it does not get full funding.
For Further Details:
The Nordic Africa Institute’s African Guest Researchers’ Scholarships 2024 have an official website.