The LEDE Fellowship connects and supports journalism entrepreneurs. With the aim of accelerating the spread of solutions journalism and producing significant impact. It does so with the help of seed funding of up to $5,000 and numerous opportunities for professional development. (LEDE Journalism Fellowship 2023)
Deadline for applications: January 4, 2023
The goal of LEDE fellows is to promote solutions journalism both locally and internationally. The fellowship offers up to $5,000 in seed money, professional development opportunities, and the assistance of the LEDE cohort itself.
The Fellowship for LEDE
- USE the network: Fellows should become acquainted with and look for the resources and knowledge of journalists, locals, and others whose work is pertinent to their project.
- Engage the community: Fellows should interact with, support, and/or recognize journalists who are reporting on solutions to problems, as well as the communities that these journalists are informing.
- DISSEMINATE the knowledge: Projects need to create more solutions journalism directly (or stimulate the creation of it). Projects must be planned to produce insight for other journalists, newsrooms, and other practitioners of solutions journalism in the larger SJN network.
- SHINE A LIGHT on what or who is missing: By amplifying underrepresented voices and telling stories that problem-focused reporting leaves out, successful projects will contribute to telling the full story about what is succeeding.
You will: as an LEDE Fellow:
- Join a group of like-minded businesspeople with whom you can exchange best practices, overcome obstacles, celebrate successes (and failures), and jointly advance the global growth of solutions journalism.
- Learn skills such as revenue generation, effective community engagement, reporting with an equity lens, etc. that are pertinent to your project proposal.
- Access SJN staff members, important journalism innovators, and other industry professionals through our network of more than 5,000 journalists worldwide.
- Depending on the size of your project, you may be given an honorarium of up to $5,000.
- Free registration to a future Solutions Journalism Summit (a $750 value) is available.
- Monthly calls with fellow fellows focused on increasing audiences’ access to journalism solutions
- calls every two months with the full cohort of LEDE Fellows, alumni, and a few special guests who will help the fellows develop professionally;
- Whenever needed, fellows can speak one-on-one with Julia Hotz, the manager of the SJN LEDE Fellowship, for support in designing and carrying out their projects.
- Strong ties to a close-knit global community of solutions journalism fellows who will be a constant source of accountability, problem-solving, and encouragement throughout and after the 12-month fellowship;
- Access to special training courses on storytelling, engagement, fundraising, equity, and other topics led by sjn employees and outside partners;
- Up to $5,000 in honorarium, based on the size of the fellow’s project
- The first application round (December 5–January 4) consisted of a two-question application and a test on “Solutions Journalism.” Application processing shouldn’t take more than two hours.
- RUND 2 OF APPLICATIONS (January 6 – January 13) A longer project pitch and a 60-second “Why LEDE Fellowship?” video are both available.
- (January 16–January 20) INTERVIEWS: Final-round candidates will be invited to a 25-minute interview with SJN team member and LEDE Fellowship manager Julia Hotz.
- The 2023 LEDE Fellows will be revealed on January 23.
- Tuesday, January 31, 2023, 12 p.m. ET, Kickoff Call
For Additional Information
Visit the Solution Journalism Network LEDE Fellowship 2023 official website.
LEDE Journalism Fellowship 2023