Deadline: 4 November 2022
Enter the iDiaspora Photo Contest right away to participate and use photography to commemorate your diaspora.
Sponsored by the International Organization for Migration (IOM) and IBER-RUTAS, the iDiaspora Photo Contest is open to both professional and amateur photographers. The program aims to promote cultural diversity in Ibero-America for the protection of migrants’ rights from an intercultural perspective.
The IOM and IBER-RUTAS hope that this activity will draw attention to the skill and socio-cultural contributions of migrant and diaspora groups around the world. The principal theme of the contest is “Diaspora”.
According to the IOM, a diaspora is a group of migrants or descendants of migrants “whose identity and sense of belonging, either actual or symbolic, have been formed by their migration experience and history.” Based on a shared sense of history, identity, or shared experiences in the destination country, they continue to preserve ties to their home countries and to each other.
Winners will be announced 15 days after the closure of the contest on the iDiaspora and IBER-RUTAS websites. The prizes for amateur and professional categories will be:
- First Prize USD 1,500.
- Second Prize USD 700.
- Third Prize USD 300.
The iDiaspora Photo Contest looks for a series of 3 photographs per participant portraying some of the following categories:
1. Navigating identities: Is there a relationship between Diaspora’s homeland and new land? How do diasporas express their sense of belonging in multiple societies?
2. Youth and their roots: What is it like to be born or grow up as a member of the diaspora? How can the youth connect with their homeland?
3. Diasporas as influencers: How does the diaspora contribute positively to their societies through the use of technology?
4. Diasporas helping their communities: What is it like to assist communities during a crisis?
- Only one submission per person is allowed.
- Both amateur and professional photographers over the age of 18 are eligible to enter the contest, which is open internationally.
- No members of the IOM, IBER-RUTAS, or their close families are permitted to participate. (Spouse, parent, son, parent, sons, daughters) or members of their family.
- Those who participate in this Contest, by submitting their photo, certify that their submission is not illegal and does not violate any law, regulation, treaty, or administrative rule and that the laws of their jurisdiction of residence at the time of entry do not prohibit or restrict the possibility of receiving a prize in this Contest.
The iDiaspora Photo Contest will have two categories: Amateur and professional.
- To apply for the contest:
- Register in iDiaspora.org – ” iDiaspora Photo Contest”.
- Create a profile and fill in your personal data by clicking on the “apply” button.
- Complete the details of the photos: Title, a brief description of the photographic series, and how it portrays the themes of the contest (between 100 and 150 words).
- Submit a photographic series of 3 unpublished photographs, in JPG format up to 8 Mb.