Echidna Global Scholars Visiting Fellowship 2023($22,500 USD in stipend)
Deadline: December 1, 2022.
Apply now for the Echidna Global Scholars Visiting Fellowship 2023. The Echidna Global Scholars Program at the Center for Universal Education (CUE) at Brookings seeks to catalyze and amplify the impact of local leaders working to advance gender equality in and through education across the Global South.
During a six-month fellowship, Echidna Global Scholars conduct individual research focused on improving learning opportunities and life outcomes for girls, young women, and gender non-conforming people, develop their leadership and evidence-based policy skills, build substantive knowledge on gender and global education issues, and more so expand their pathways for impact.
Upon completion of the fellowship, scholars transition to the Echidna Alumni Network, a growing community of practice aimed at promoting their significant, sustained, and collective influence on gender-transformative education globally and locally. Since its inception in 2012, the Echidna Global Scholars Program has hosted ten cohorts of fellows and currently supports an alumni network of 33 scholars from 20 different countries.
The Echidna Global Scholars Visiting fellowship 2023 consists of three distinct phases:
Pre-residency (in home country):
- With the support from the Center for Universal Education (CUE), scholars begin an intensive period of in-country data collection and analysis, accompanied by a series of virtual workshops, group working meetings, and individual advisory sessions.
- Scholars are introduced to the leadership concepts and tools that will be the focus of the leadership development program throughout the fellowship and begin developing their impact strategy—identifying and further engaging with local stakeholders from their home country.
Residency (Washington, D.C.):
- Scholars focus on expanding reach and impact through publication and dissemination of their research on Brookings’s multimedia platforms, strategic impact capacity building, leadership development, and networking.
- The residency phase is designed to help scholars strengthen their impact by teaching best practices for analyzing, communicating, and leveraging research for policy and key audiences, as well as expanding scholars’ networks and promoting visibility through Brookings convenings and strategic collaborations—culminating in the girls’ education research and policy symposium.
Post-residency (in home country):
- During the two-year post-residency period, the CUE team provides targeted support to alumni as they implement impact plans that build off their research. Through strategic advisement, group working meetings, and leadership development support, scholars leverage the knowledge, skills, more so connections built throughout the fellowship to catalyze change in their local contexts.
- Applicants selected for the Fellowship will receive a stipend totaling $22,500 USD to support living costs during the pre-residency and residency periods (subject to U.S. tax withholding and reporting).
- In addition, CUE will cover the costs associated with the visa process, single-occupancy housing for the three-and-a-half-month residency period, round-trip travel expenses, and a limited health insurance plan.
- Substantial experience in, ties to, and a clear intent to return to a country in the Global South.
- Background in education, development, public policy, economics, or a related area; a Master’s degree (or higher) required.
- 10+ years of professional experience in research/academia, nongovernmental, community, or civil society organizations, or government.
- An intimate understanding of education development issues and gender.
- Ability to collaborate with others, openness to give and receive feedback, and capacity and desire to learn with speed and flexibility.
- All Echidna Global Scholars must demonstrate proficiency in English.
Visit Echidna Global Scholars for further information
Join us on Telegram as well as Whatsapp for more opportunity updates.
Leave a Comment