Yale Young African Scholars (YYAS) programme 2023
Deadline: 01 February 2023
Applications for African Scholars programme 2023 are currently open. Yale Young African Scholars (YYAS) is an intensive academic and enrichment program designed for African secondary school students planning to pursue tertiary education and who wish to make meaningful impact as young leaders on the continent.
For the African Scholars programme 2023, Participants will enhance their academic skills, receive guidance on university admissions and career path options, and join a network of young leaders from across Africa. Following the program, students pair with mentors who will advise them throughout the university application process.
Over the seven-day program, when YYAS takes place online or in-residence, participants will utilize various online platforms, including Zoom, to engage in seminars, lectures, and conversations. All relevant program information communicated directly to admitted participants.
Yale Young African Scholars (YYAS) is a proud member of the HALI Access Network and continues to enjoy support from The Whitney and Betty MacMillan Center for International and Area Studies at Yale. YYAS was modeled off its sister program, Yale Young Global Scholars (YYGS), and continues to operate under its umbrella.
- Age: You must be at least 14 years old, and not older than 18 years old, by the application deadline (1st February 2023) for consideration. Please note that a typical YYAS student is between the ages of 15 and 18.
- English: You must be able to participate in a rigorous academic curriculum conducted in English.
- Citizenship: You must be a citizen or permanent resident of an African country. YYAS will also accept applications from refugees living in an African country.
- School location: You must currently attend school in an African country.
- Grade Level: You must be a current 11th grade student (or the international equivalent).
- Graduation date: If you attend school in the Northern Hemisphere, you must be graduating secondary school by latest May/June 2024. If you attend school in the Southern Hemisphere, you must be graduating secondary school by earliest November/December 2023 and no later than November/December 2024.
- If you are currently in your final year or term of secondary school, have already graduated secondary school, or are a university student, then you are NOT eligible to apply.
The following three (3) components required of all applicants:
Completed application form:
- The application found online and further, filled out by the applicant. Students asked to complete one 500-word essay and two short responses, and must provide information on their extracurricular activities and the school that they currently attend.
Official transcript or grade report(s):
- A student transcript is an official document provided by the school and includes the applicant’s list of courses and grades received. Students must upload their official transcript or grade report(s) for each year of secondary school.
- National exam scores, if available, should also be submitted but not required. If a student has changed secondary schools at any point, they must include records both from their previous AND their current school. Please refrain from uploading certificates or transcripts from primary school.
One (1) teacher recommendation:
- The recommendation must be filled out via the Online Recommendation Form sent to a teacher’s email after the student provides their contact details. An email sent with a link to the Form and instructions on how to fill it out.
- The recommendation must be written and submitted by a teacher who knows the student well. Recommendations from parents/guardians, siblings, relatives, family friends, and/or paid private tutors/counselors will NOT be accepted.
Visit YALE for further information
Leave a Comment