Deadline: November 15, 2022
Apply now for the ConDev’s Student Media Grant Program 2022! ConDev’s Student Media Grant Program awards funds to current students or recent graduates from accredited universities worldwide interested in conducting field work in conflict-affected areas of the world.
Grantees can work on a variety of research or extension programs that will allow them to chronicle critical issues being faced by communities, such as:
- Peace and reconciliation
- Poverty and food insecurity
- Forms of violence (gender, school, domestic, political, etc)
- Migration/refugee crisis
Inspired by Howard G. Buffett’s use of photography to document the nexus of conflict and development in “Fragile: The Human Condition.” The grant is funded by the Howard G. Buffett Foundation Chair on Conflict and Development at Texas A&M University.
ConDev’s Student Media Grant Program 2022 Areas:
The Student Media Grant Program has recently been adjusted to better align with their cross-cutting themes which are central to operations, and to be more collaborative with the ConDev research portfolio. ConDev’s research focuses largely on mitigating conflict related to four program areas, which are based on their potential to combat key drivers of international conflict: Food security , Youth Employment , Natural Resources, and Local Institutions
Through SMGP, grantees will need to demonstrate a 3-month engagement (minimum) with international development issues through extension activities, internships, student research, or other programs and create media content to document that engagement. Students may use photography, videos, blogs, social media and other forms of photojournalism to document how their program contributed to development issues.
- Students may request up to $5,000
- This year, they welcome proposals from current students or recent graduates from any accredited university worldwide. Undergraduate, graduate, Master’s, and PhD students may apply.But you do not have to be a U.S. citizen or resident to apply. Recent graduates must have a 2022 graduation date.
- Similarly, Students from all majors and areas of study encouraged to apply.
- Proposals submitted by email by midnight Nov 15th, 2022, to firstname.lastname@example.org with “SMGP 2022: [Applicant Last Name, Target Country]” as the subject line and only one proposal submitted per student.
- Award amounts made at the discretion of the Chair. Proposals must be submitted as a Microsoft Word document.
Proposals must be in English. Please use a 12 pt Times New Roman font, single space. Proposals should include the following sections:
PAGE 1 – Cover sheet (including the following information):
- Proposal Title
- Target Country (Where will you travel to for this program?)
- Applicant name
- Major or recent degree obtained (Example: Masters in Political Science)
- University Name, Department Name
- Graduation Date
- Contact information: Your email and telephone number; your website and social media handles showcasing your portfolio (if you have one)
- Name, title & email of faculty member at your university who can serve as reference
PAGE 2 – Thematic focus (1 Page)
- What theme/issue do you plan to photograph? What is the conflict-related issue to be chronicled?
- More so, What do you hope to achieve by highlighting this specific subject or issue? Will this project further your professional/personal aspirations?
ON PAGE 3 – Motivation for doing this work (1/2 Page) & Timeline: Planned activities over at least a 3-month period (1/2 Page)
- Why have you selected a particular conflict-related topic and your target country?
- Which country organization(s) you will be working with; what cities will you visit and what is your logistics plans (transportation, lodging, etc.) You should include a clear timeline of activities.
PAGE 4 – Budget (1/2 page) & Reporting/Plans for disseminating your work (1/2 Page)
- What is your target media for publication? Please include your plans for blogging (monthly blogs/photos encouraged) and publicizing your work on social media. A final report required, and you may also offer an online presentation about your program.
- Please include a budget with details on airfare, local transportation, lodging, meals, equipment costs, etc. A table format preferred. Include any cost share.