One of the most effective ways to contribute to the continent’s growth and continued excellence is to strengthen African universities. Applications for the University of Michigan African Presidential Scholars (UMAPS) Programme are now being accepted based on that. Apply now!
The U-M African Presidential Scholars (UMAPS) program has helped retain and strengthen faculty members working in African institutions of higher education, and empowered them to contribute to international academic networks and set their own research agendas.
During University of Michigan African Presidential Scholars (UMAPS) Programme, early career faculty from African universities connect to Ann Arbor, Michigan. Further, Scholars pair with a faculty collaborator during their stay and have full access to the University of Michigan’s (U-M) resources to further their work on a research project, an academic degree, publications, grant proposal, or other relevant activity.
This program supports the development of the next generation of African scholars by integrating them into international academic networks, and promotes U-M’s international commitment to research and teaching collaborations across diverse disciplines, from engineering to literature to economics.
Those admitted to the UMAPS Program will receive:
- Five months of residency at the University of Michigan in Ann Arbor, Michigan, paired with a faculty collaborator with full access to the university’s resources
- Round-trip airfare from their home country to Ann Arbor, Michigan
- Free housing (private room & bath in a suite setting), medical insurance, a research allowance, and a modest stipend to cover living (Important note: The UMAPS program is unable to accommodate spouses and/or dependents)
- Office/Laboratory space
- Opportunity to present research to the U-M community
- We welcome direct applications from faculty members of colleges or universities from Angola, Botswana, Ethiopia, Ghana, Kenya, Malawi, Mozambique, Nigeria, Rwanda, South Africa, and Uganda.
- Applicants from other countries in Africa cannot apply directly to UMAPS but need to be nominated by a University of Michigan faculty member with whom they already have an established relationship.
- Previous recipients of the
- fellowship are not eligible to apply. Preference given to applicants without extensive international experience outside the continent.
All applicants must:
- Be an early career faculty member who has taught in the higher education system for less than ten years, and who is presently teaching in a college or university in Africa
- Have employment in an ongoing position at a university or college in Africa
- Be able to demonstrate support from a home institution with a letter of recommendation from the head of department, dean, or vice chancellor
- Be able to remain in residence for five months
All applicants must:
- Complete the online application form » (IN THIS APPLICATION CYCLE, this link can only be used by applicants from the above eligible countries
- Upload curriculum vitae using the online application
- Upload a scholarly program/research proposal (not to exceed five pages). Applications from a wide range of disciplines and schools welcomed.
- Similarly,applications that align with the center’s disciplinary initiatives:AHHI, ASRI, and STEM-Africa also encouraged
- Provide complete name and contact information of the department head, dean, or vice chancellor at the applicant’s home institution who will be writing their letter of support
- Applications reviewed after the closing date on October 15. Incomplete applications will not be processed.
- Only applications submitted through the online system considered.
- Applicants from outside eligible listed countries,
The nominating faculty must:
- Complete the online nomination form (for University of Michigan faculty only and access requires U-M login)
- Submit /upload a letter of endorsement that indicates their willingness to serve as a mentor during the length of the residency,commit to meet regularly, and if possible provide an office space for the prospective participant
- As soon as we receive the complete nomination form and letter of support, nominated candidate receive an email invitation with a link to the application portal.
Deadline: October 15 2022
For further information,visit UMAPS webpage