Africa Data Hub (ADH) Community Journalism Fellowship 2022
Deadline: August 4, 2022
Africa Data Hub (ADH) Community Journalism Fellowship 2022 Applications for the second cohort are now open. Apply now if interested in improving the coverage of under-reported issues in local communities across Nigeria.Interested in applications that aim to produce journalism focused on potential solutions with lasting impact towards effective public service delivery, grassroot development and improving the quality of life.
Community journalism holds the key to bridging the wide gap between Nigeria’s urban and rural areas with news, information, education and development, as most of the issues are under-reported by the mainstream media, and community journalists often turn the spotlight on them. This fellowship program will support community journalists with grants, capacity development and tools to produce in-depth data-driven stories that are investigative in nature on issues affecting communities in different parts of the country.
The Africa Data Hub (ADH) Community Journalism Fellowship 2022 will prioritize stories deep-diving into community health challenges, causes of hunger and extreme poverty, and more importantly stories of showing structural barriers women and girls face.The ADH Community Journalism Fellowship (ACJF) is an initiative of Orodata Science whose mission is to continue to democratize data, and knowledge towards solutions that impact the lives of millions.
- The fellows will participate in a Data Journalism Bootcamp that will provide capacity building training on advanced investigative, data storytelling and mapping techniques. Journalists will also learn how to source, analyze and visualize data in engaging and compelling ways.
- The fellowship will provide a grant sum for each fellow to support their investigations.
- The fellows will also receive advisory from mentors to improve their journalistic skills and access to the entire ADH Community.
- The fellowship will provide editorial and technical support such as data research and analysis, data visualizations, infographics, and mapping for the stories produced by the fellows.
- Applicants must be journalists based in Nigeria.
- The number of grants available is limited; therefore the first 10 – 20 pitches received stand the best chance of consideration. Interested journalists encouraged to pitch their stories from 21 July to 4 August 2022.
- Pitches must meet our selected theme.
- Pitches from freelance reporters and staff from all types of media organizations – international, national, local and community-based encouraged to apply.
- All pitches must be no more than 250 words.
- The pitch should highlight the key issue you want to focus on, why it is relevant to the program and the extent to which it is under-reported.
- Applicants expected to pitch stories in the communities in the states where they reside.
- Applicants expected to participate in the 3 day Data Journalism Bootcamp online. Dates to be confirmed.
- Indicate why you are the right person to report it and the access you already have.
- Include a letter or email from the editor of a publication interested in publishing your story.
Apply online now.For further details,visit ADH webpage
Leave a Comment