Deadline: 9 September 2022
Applications for a new Swedish ICIL Women’s Political Leadership Programme 2023 are now open.local political leader in any of the OECD-DAC listed ODA-countries, a woman and most importantly, an agent of change, this programme is for you.
Swedish ICIL Women’s Political Leadership Programme 2023 is 12-months training focusing on developing political leadership skills implemented in cooperation with the Swedish Association of Local Authorities and Regions (SALAR).
All parts of the Swedish International Centre for Local Democracy (ICIL) training are based on equity, participation, transparency and accountability, and the goal is to strengthen democracy in the organizations taking part in the training, primarily by strengthening the politician herself, as well as capacitating women politicians in general to be good role models and to get a higher involvement of underrepresented groups in decision making bodies.
- Valuable exchange of knowledge and experiences
- Extended regional and international networks
- Improved skills as a “change agent” in initiating and implementing institutional change
- Skills and abilities to communicate and advocate on issues of inclusive governance
- Two-day study-visit in a Swedish municipality or region
- Support to improve participation, equality, transparency and accountability in the local governance
- A local political leader in any of the OECD-DAC listed ODA-countries, a woman and most importantly, an agent of change.
- ICLD will prioritize applicants holding the position of Mayor or Deputy Mayor but will also exceptionally accept applicants who are Councilor.
The training consists of three compulsory workshops,involving full time scheduled trainings. Periods between workshops are home based.
Inception workshop (5 days including travels)
The Inception workshop will take place in February 2023
- After confirmed selection, the participants contacted by a programme manager at ICLD and invited to the Inception workshop.
- The participants and the programme management develop a shared understanding of the content, structure, methodology and management of the programme. Topics addressed in this workshop, among others: teambuilding and networking, developing the change process, and introduction to the Sustainable Development Goals. The tuition during the inception workshop consists of group discussions and lectures with a combination of Swedish and/or international experts from the region.
- The Inception workshop will be held over the course of three days in one of the participating countries.
Work with the Change Process (3 months, in home country)
Back in their respective local communities the participants will continue to develop their Change Process. Participants will actively use web-based tools for interaction with facilitators and other participants.
Swedish Phase work shop (2 weeks in Sweden including travels)
The Sweden Phase workshop will take place in May-June 2023
- Participants will meet in Sweden for a cultural exchange, advanced leadership training, introduction to Swedish women politicians/mentors and a two-day study visit to a Swedish municipality or region.
- Topics of study will include, among others: the Swedish model of governance, suppression techniques and countermeasures, and how to be a good role model. Tuition consists of interactive lectures and group discussions with Swedish and international experts combined with study excursions, group work and discussions.
Final work shop (5 days including travels)
The Final workshop will take place in December 2023
- The participants and the Swedish mentors meet in one of the participating countries. The goal of this workshop is to summarize and share the challenges, opportunities and lessons learned throughout the programme.
- The participants will present their Change Process results. The programme also includes study visits and lectures provided by the ICLD and relevant lecturers. This workshop marks the formal end of the programme.
All workshops except the Swedish Phase workshop will be held in the participating countries. The Swedish Phase workshop will be carried out in Sweden