UJ Artists in Residence Programme 2023
The closing date for application: 31 July.2022
The University of Johannesburg (UJ) Artists in Residence Programme is now open for applications for residencies commencing in January 2023.
Designed to stimulate arts practice as research, the UJ Artists in Residence Programme 2023 makes residencies available in Visual and Fine Arts, Music, Theatre, Performance and Dance, Design, Film and Television, as well as Literary Arts. Similarly, the programme aims to support the development and presentation of new creative output
The programme is open for applications from new, emerging, and established artists from across the globe, but preferably with a connection to Africa. Artists are eligible to apply for physical or remote residencies at the institution and depending on the nature of the proposed residency; successful artists may work partly or completely remotely.
The Artists in Residence Programme 2023 enables artists by making monthly stipends available over a 12-month period and does not provide project or seed funding. Applicants are required to establish a working relationship with a department or division at the University of Johannesburg that will endorse their application and host their residency should the application be successful.
Potential UJ host departments or divisions and artists interested in the programme are invited to attend a virtual session where questions they may have will be answered. The session will take place on Friday, 15 July at 14:00.
- The programme is open for applications from new, emerging and established artists from across the globe, but preferably with a connection to Africa.
- Artists are eligible to apply for physical and/ or remote residencies at the institution. Thus, depending on the nature of the proposed residency, successful artists may work partly or completely remotely.
- Applicants may not be affiliated with another South African tertiary institution.
- Applications must be accompanied by a letter of endorsement by a UJ host department or division.
- Only proposals for projects that fall within the following disciplines will be eligible:
- Visual Arts and Fine Arts , Music ,Theatre , Performance and Dance ,Design , Film and Television ,Literary Arts
- Artists in Residence positions are awarded on a competitive basis, taking the applicant’s career track record, level of productivity, academic writing experience or potential and residency proposal into account.
The primary objective of the Artists in Residence Programme is the preparation of no less than one creative outputs submission within a 12-month period that complies with the Department of Higher Education’s criteria for creative outputs.
- Successful applicants will be offered a 12-month residency formalized through temporary employment at the institution.
- A monthly stipend of R10,000 (subject to statutory deductions) will be made available to Artists in Residence.
Additionally, Artists in Residence will be required to:
- Timeously complete and sign temporary appointment forms and supply supporting documentation.
- Attend a select number of creative output capacity development workshops and/or presentations as directed by the Creative Outputs Task Team.
- Prepare a creative output submission for the Department of Higher Education within the 12-month residency as noted above. UJ reserves the right to request additional revisions, amendments, and/or additions to creative output submissions when it is processed by UJ for submission to the Department of Higher Education, which may fall outside the residency (fixed-term temporary employment) period.
- Artists in Residence together with their host department or division will be responsible for the management and administration of their projects and will be required to submit a 300-word status update to the Artists in Residence Programme every month at the end of the month.
- Present workshops and/or lectures and/or participate in activities presented by the artist’s host department or division.
For further information click here
Leave a Comment