This Fellowship is intended for a journalist who have a great idea for a high-impact story that breaks down financial figures and make it make sense to readers or consumers while having few resources to get it done. Harold McGraw Jr. Center for Business Journalism Fellowship 2022 for Business Journalists ($USD 15,000)
Experienced journalists will be provided with grants worth $15,000 and all the editorial support needed to produce reported enterprise beyond the headlines including investigative stories that go deep into salient economic, financial or business issues across a diverse array of topics. Many of the previous Fellows have been generalists or cover portions such as healthcare, education and the environment. This means that for you to apply in this Fellowship, you do not need to be a business reporter only. Some applicants however have chosen to focus on topics such as economic inequality or corporate accountability. (Harold McGraw Jr. Center for Business Journalism Fellowship 2022)
Journalists, who need time and resources to produce an important investigative or enterprise story that provides fresh insights into important business or financial or economic subjects, will be provided with editorial and financial support by the McGraw Fellowship.
Applications for in-depth text, audio as well as short-form video pieces are accepted but long-form documentaries are not accepted at this time. This is not a residency Fellowship and all McGraw Fellows work from their own offices even outside of the current pandemic.
Who is eligible to apply for Harold McGraw Jr. Center for Business Journalism Fellowship 2022?
- Anyone with at least five years of professional experience in journalism can apply
- Freelance journalists, reporters and editors who are currently working at a news organization or a journalism non-profit may also apply
Each project receives a grant of up to $15,000 from the Fellowship and the exact amount will depend on the time it takes to complete the project and the expenses required. Some of the funding may also be used by freelance journalists as stipend for their living expenses during the Fellowship. Candidates with a strong background or reporting expertise on the subject of their project and proven ability to report and execute a complex project in their proposed media are preferred.
- A well-focused story proposal of no more than three pages should be submitted by applicants through the accompanying online form
- Give enough preliminary reporting and documentation to demonstrate that the story is solid. This is much like you would submit to an editor at a newspaper, magazine, audio or, digital outlet
- The proposal should highlight what is new and important about the story, why it matters and what its potential impact may be
- Your proposal should note where important stories on the subject have run and how the proposed piece would be different.
- The applicants should lastly, briefly outline a proposed reporting plan and a timeline for completing the story. Let the organizers of this Fellowship know it in your proposal if you have a media outlet lined up for your story before you apply in the event that you have one. (Harold McGraw Jr. Center for Business Journalism Fellowship 2022)
Note that the deadline for the Spring 2022 Fellowship application is march 31, 2022 and the applications for the Fall 2022 Fellowships will be due in September 30, 2022.
For more information about the Harold McGraw Jr. Center for Business Journalism Fellowship 2022, click here.