Deadline: 12 February 2023
Entries for the 28th International Radio Playwriting Competition 2023 now being accepted from writers worldwide. The international competition, organized by the BBC World Service and the British Council, presents writers with the exceptional chance to use the audio drama format to deliver stories to a global audience.
This competition is an important part of the British Council’s programme of developing new playwrights around the world, discovering new talent, and helping global artists find new opportunities. It offers the unique opportunity for writers from outside the UK to use the medium of audio drama to tell stories for an international audience.
Their teams will perform two winning writers’ works for broadcast to the millions of listeners of BBC World Service. Furthermore, the World Service network will air their voices along with some of the best UK drama productions, such as U.Me: The Musical, Miriam and Youssef, and Fall of the Shah, as part of this prestigious award that promotes unique storytelling.
- Both winners will attend an award ceremony in London and see their plays recorded for broadcast and streaming on BBC World Service. Similarly, a Special Commendation made for the runner-up in honour of the BBC World Service journalist and writer Georgi Markov (1929-1978).
- To highlight the best writing from throughout the world, regional winners will also be chosen in addition to the two winners
- Writers from around the world invited to submit their scripts for the 28th International Radio Playwriting Competition, currently open for entries.
- The International Radio Playwriting Competition 2023 welcomes scripts from anyone outside the UK, whether established or new writers.
- The dramas need to be 53 minutes long and can be on any subject.
- They are looking for entries in two categories: English as a First Language and English as a Second Language. The two first prizes can come from either category.
- Submit your entry online – or download an entry form to enter via post or email.
- The closing date for entries is midnight (GMT) on 12 February 2023