THE KENNEDY-LUGAR YOUTH EXCHANGE AND STUDY (YES) SCHOLARSHIP PROGRAM
THE KENNEDY-LUGAR YOUTH EXCHANGE AND STUDY (YES) SCHOLARSHIP PROGRAM 2022/2023 FOR HIGH SCHOOL STUDENTS (FULLY FUNDED TO THE UNITED STATES)
Application deadline: November 15th, 2021
Through the U.S. Department of State’s Kennedy-Lugar Youths Exchange and Study (YES), high school students from states with outstanding Muslim populations will live and study for an academic year in the United States.
YES students will serve as “youth ambassadors” of their home country, promoting mutual understanding by creating lasting relationships with their host families and communities.
Participants live with a host family, attend an American high school, attain leadership skills, and take part in activities to learn about U.S. society and values; they also help sensitizes Americans about their home state and culture.
Applicants compete for YES scholarships through a diligent, merit-based choice process. While on program, participants reside with American host families, attend high school, and engage in community service and public education activities. The YES program was founded by Congress in October 2002 in response to the events of September 11, 2001.
The YES Abroad program was started in 2009 to extend a similar experience for U.S. students (15-18.5 years) to spend an academic year in choose YES states
- Be between the ages of 15 and 17 (be born between August 15, 2005 and August 15, 2007) by the start of program (August 15, 2022)
- Be entering 10th or 11th grade in fall 2021
- Have the equivalent of a B average or better without failing grades and have a record of high academic achievement
- Demonstrate flexibility and commitment to promoting cross-cultural understanding
- Meet a minimum English proficiency requirement
- Be enrolled in a secondary school at the time of application
- Be a citizen of eligible country
- Meet U.S. J-1 visa eligibility requirements
- Not be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident, and not a native of the U.S
The program currently allows students from the following states:
Albania, Bahrain, Bosnia, Bangladesh, Jordan, Cameroon, Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Gaza, Egypt, Ghana, Israel, Indonesia, Libya, India, (Arab Communities), Kenya, Saudi Arabia, Jordan, Kosovo,, Lebanon, Kuwait, Liberia, Malaysia, Mozambique, Mali, Morocco, Nigeria, North Macedonia, Philippines, Pakistan, Senegal, South Africa, Tanzania, Tunisia, Thailand, Sierra Leone, Turkey, West Bank.
The YES scholarship covers costs related to:
- Round-trip airfare from your home country to the United States
- The cost a Pre-Departure Orientation
- Placement with a U.S. host family for about 10 to 11 months
- a modest monthly stipend
- health insurance and
- The cost of program activities and materials.
For More Information:
Visit the Kennedy-Lugar Youth Exchange and Study (YES) Scholarship Program 2022/2023 official website
Leave a Comment